I often think about the technologies I’ve learned over the past 8 years as a Front-End Developer and wonder what it must be like for someone coming into this field. I think the best answer is to take it one tool at a time.
This article is a great comprehensive list of what should be learned as a web developer.
Know These Web Dev Building Blocks
One part I had a little issue with was the section on Development Frameworks (i.e. Bootstrap). He isn’t wrong in saying that you should know how to use these, but I would add a caveat that these frameworks aren’t the silver bullet for every project. Just because you need, say a grid system, doesn’t mean you have to start with all of Bootstrap.
Overall, a great read!
More great links for this week. I’m off to WordCamp Atlanta 2015 today! If you happen to be going, let’s meet up! Hit me up on Twitter.
- Top skills for front-end web developer
This is a really great plan to learn Front-End Development. And all these courses are free!
- Should Our Agile Team Use Scrum or Kanban?
Gotta be honest, I didn’t know what Kanban was until this article.
- First Click: the great Mac vs. PC touchscreen debate
This still hasn’t really played out. Touch/mouse devices are a pain for us to design for, but its the world we live in.
- How to stand (at your desk)
I’ve been thinking of a standing desk as I’ll be in the market for a new desk.
- 4 simple ways to design killer call to action buttons
- ▶ Made By: Chris Coyier (CodePen) – YouTube
Another great video from Envato on Chris Coyier
- ▶ Made By: Dan Cederholm (Dribbble) – YouTube
Dan talks Dribbble
- » Common Patterns in Styleguides, Boilerplates and Pattern Libraries Cloud Four Blog
A way to keep your BEM naming conventions in check.
- Google Chrome Reverses Course- Will Implement Pointer Events
- Numeric Inputs – A Comparison of Browser Defaults
A bit of an inconsistent mess.
- jonathantneal/sanitize.css · GitHub
Interesting CSS reset. Doesn’t seem to touch margin/padding stuff, just weird browser buggy-type stuff.
- 14 Top Calendar and Date Picker jQuery Plugins
The days of loading all of JqueryUI are over.
- Microsoft relegates Internet Explorer to a “legacy engine” to make way for new browser
- How to replace remote files with local files when debugging
I’ve used this before and it works pretty well if you aren’t compiling anything like scss/js. There are some pitfalls with files getting overwritten but overall making css tweaking a lot easier.
- HTTP/2 for a Faster Web | Cascading Media
More on HTTP/2
- The Noun Project for Mac
Whoa! Pretty cool.
- Microsoft is learning from its mistakes for its Internet Explorer successor | The Verge
- People Are Already Downloading Project Spartan
- WordPress Migrations Made Easy
I us WPMigrateDB Pro for WordPress to WordPress, but there are some good tools in here for other CMS’s to WordPress.
- Treat Web Performance Issues Like Software Bugs
- Introduction to WordPress Front End Security: Escaping the Things
- Introducing Flexbox Fridays by Lincoln Loop on CodePen
- Power Chrome
Some shortcuts for Chrome users.
- Nginx Guide: Introduction
I’m all in on nginx because it’s fast, but it takes a little more care to setup initially.
- Announcing Enterprise Site Discovery support on IE8, IE9, IE10 and new privacy enhancements
More info on IE retirement (or lack thereof)
- Infographic: Sketch vs Photoshop
Sketch seems to be getting more and more popular.
I just subscribed to a handful of performance blogs today, so there will be a bit of an influx on performance this week. Cheers!
- Google PageSpeed Double Loading: A Third Party Blind Spot
- How to Prevent Third Parties from Dragging Down Your Web Performance
Third Party scripts are a pain in the butt to get working quickly.
- Is There a DNS Doctor in the House?
- Case Study: WordPress Theme Optimization
- Matt Griffin on How We Work: Readable Wearables
- Probably Use initial-scale=1
Good call, Chris.
- Why Make Websites Accessible?
- Some More Inspiration for Text Input Effects
- How to Write Great Web Development Articles and Tutorials
- 6 Node.js Static Site Generators
- Rendering engine updates in March for the Windows 10 Technical Preview
More improvements to Project Sparten
- Microsoft delivers new Windows 10 preview without Spartan browser
- The Path to Performance // Speaker Deck
- Skala Color 2: A More Functional and Beautiful Color Picker for OS X
If you’ve used the OS X color picker, you’ll know that getting hex and rgba values is not easy.
- Microsoft is killing off the Internet Explorer brand
- Microsoft reveals how it will make money giving away software
- Strategies for Staying on Top of Web Performance
- Introduction to fetch()
XHR with promises!
- CSS Contact Form
- Break Up With IE8
- Enhancing Responsiveness with Flexbox presentation at RWD Summit
- 6 Strategies for Freelancers to Take on Creative Agencies