Whoa! Lots of links this week. There was lots of Great content.
Sidenote: I’m heading to Raleigh tonight to watch the Minnesota Wild take on the ‘canes. Go Wild!
- Automating Style Guide-Driven Development
The best type of style guide is the one that’s automatically generated for you. 🙂
- Organising Your Grunt Tasks | Always Twisted. Front-End Development.
“Don’t run everything all at once.” I can relate to that. Everytime I start u I’m heading p my grunt/gulp tasks, I have to wait for it to optimize my images and other assets for the 5 billionth time.
- Design Principles
A refresher on this is never a bad thing.
- vivus.js – svg animation
- More Spartan Screenshots Leak
tl;dr y choice of these four is ESLint. JSLint is strict and not configurable, whereas JSHint is lacking the extension mechanism.
- 5 Things to Consider before Going Freelance
See how fast http2 is
- DevTools. For Designers!
- Which Code Editors Are Best for Python?
- Create a Simple Popup Window HTML5 Dialog Tag
- Helps designers pair Google Fonts together. Beautiful Google Font combinations and pairs.
- 5 First-class Free Fonts For Your Next Project
- I like how percentage background-position works
- HTTP2 for front-end web developers | Matt Wilcox, Web Developer & Tinkerer
tl;dr The long and short of it is; when you build a front-end to a website, and you know it’s going to be served over HTTP2 – you need to ensure you’re not using legacy HTTP1 performance techniques that are going to harm the site under HTTP2.
- Playful Trampoline Effect
Implement localStorage web font caching in seconds.
- Password Masking
An actual, real-world study.
- Ditch the .forEach.call(NodeList) hack
- Design Like You’re Right. Listen like you’re wrong.
- Apple’s Web?
- Flexbox in 5: Fab Flexbox Tutorial
- What Does Pebble Time Mean For Developers?
- Designing for Performance:Can We Have it All?
- Upfront is a game changer for WordPress
- What’s New in AngularJS 2.0
- Microsoft’s Internet Explorer successor demonstrated in leaked video
- Designing for Humans — Accounting for Inclusivity and Accessibility
- Making it easier for Enterprise customers to upgrade to Internet Explorer 11 — and Windows 10
- Taking Steps
“The things we build are almost always meant to make things faster, more efficient, easier. Perhaps, sometimes, they should be harder.”
- Today’s Readings
Aaron talks a lot about WordPress image plugins. Something I’ve been very curious about lately, especially with load time.
- RICG Responsive Images For WordPress
responsive images in WordPress? yes please!
- Plyr – A simple HTML5 media player
- Swiper – Most Modern Mobile Touch Slider
wow. works really well on touch.
- Clocks with css and js
- Extending the Color Cascade with the CSS currentColor Variable : Adobe Dreamweaver Team Blog
I’m pretty sure I didn’t know this existed in the CSS spec. Really cool!
- Setting Up a Mac Dev Machine From Zero to Hero With Dotfiles: Part 2
I loved the first article written about this.
- The most popular WordPress plugins
Its always interesting to know the most popular plugins.
- HipChat + Atom = How to Remote Pair-Program like a Boss
A good reason to start using Atom? Code sharing without the screensharing.
- Microsoft’s next Windows 10 preview will include the Project Spartan browser
- package.json: an interactive guide – browsenpm.org
- Inquisitive: 27: Behind the App #1: History
This is a great series from Myke Hurley about how the hell the App Store became so popular. As web people, we are sometimes baffled how well downloaded apps can do when most of the time a website can accomplish the same tasks.
- The Dirt: Productizing Your Services
Great talk about how you sell your services.
- Non Breaking Space Show: 48: Micah Godbolt and Front-end Architecture
In this episode, Micah talks about front end architecture and how important it is to document and organize.
- A break from the past: the birth of Microsoft’s new web rendering engine
- Inspiration for Button Styles and Effects
- I’m a web developer. Not an engineer.
- Considerations on Choosing a University CMS
This is probably the hardest use case for picking a cms.
- Do You Really Need an App for That?
more native vs web
- Spartan To Temove 300ms Delay, Pointer Events Become W3C Recommenadtion
- Static Blogging Tool Face-Off: Middleman vs Jekyll
I’ve been throwing the idea around of making the Hoverboard blog on Jekyll. Middleman could be a good option too.
- New York Times Magazine redesigns for the Web
- Another 20 Docs and Guides for Front-End Developers
some good stuff.
- Twitter introduces an official plugin for WordPress
- Mixin to Qualify a Selector