Some great stuff this week. A huge win for Net Neutrality and IE in the process of being sun-setted.
- RodriguezCommaJ – Author Template
This email template gives you a reset of sorts that looks good. It is $10, but worth it’s weight in gold if you’ve ever created an html email.
- Transitioning to SCSS at Scale
- Benchmarks: Internet Explorer 11 vs. Spartan vs. Google Chrome 40 vs. Firefox 35
“Spartan (IE Experimental) offers a significant boost compared to IE11 although it was still not enough to beat Google Chrome 40 or Firefox 35 in some of the benchmarks.”
- A Linux Developer’s Setup
Working on a Unix-based system is key for a Web Developer IMO. Most of the points he makes in here apply to OS X as well, but as he points out, Linux has upsides to OS X. If Apple ever does anything to really make me mad, it’s comforting to know Linux will always be there to save me.
Why have I not used this before? One of the keys to a lightweight page is using SVG’s for images (when possible). Grunticon just makes it easier.
- Microsoft’s touch-friendly Office shows great potential for Windows 10 apps
Microsoft really needed a touch-friendly overhaul to Office.
- 11 Reasons to Care About Mobile Performance in 2015 [INFOGRAPHIC]
- Net neutrality wins: the FCC will propose strong Title II regulation
- This site shows how speed and efficiency should be done
- Style Guide Generator Roundup
I love styleguides, but by it’s nature of being a fairly new idea, it’s constantly changing.
- 7 simple rules for mobile typography
- jQuery event trigger namespace
- The Long Web – An Event Apart Video with Jeremy Keith
- You can copy() from the console
- Introducing the Codrops CSS Reference
- Google Now takes a bite out of your privacy
- Getting Started with the WordPress Theme Customization API
IMHO: The only way to add theme options to a WordPress theme.
- Screencast: Building Smarter UI Interactions using :checked
He does some pretty cool things to get this to work in pure css. He’s also using VIM mode ins Sublime Text, so that’s kinda cool to watch too.
- What Makes Ecommerce Design Different?
- Inside Microsoft’s New Rendering Engine For The “Project Spartan”
- 10 free WordPress plugins for February 2015
Lots of gems in here. I’m really digging the Post Type Requirements Checklist plugin.
- Web publishers can delete stuff from archive.org
- What’s wrong with your pa$$w0rd? | TED.com
- Examples of Animation in Web Design
…and they aren’t just there for animation’s sake.
- Chrome continues to fall apart at brisk pace
- Microsoft to support Raspberry Pi 2 with a free version of Windows 10
Hmm, cheap IE testing machine?
- Optimizing Your Images for WordPress
Optimization is something I love to do. There are some great tools in here including EWWW Image Optimizer. Every WordPress site should have that installed.
- The best of January’s web design podcasts
Some great picks
- Optimizing Your Workflow
I do like finding ways to streamline workflows on my computer. Be sure not to get too carried away. I spent about 2 hours on Monday creating shortcuts for Alfred Remote, which I haven’t really used all week. :/